Consultant / Project Manager
Looking for new project experiences related to science and technology breakthroughs? Do you want to influence research and product commercialization decisions? Are you looking for a chance to be part of an intellectually diverse team? Newry might be right for you!
Newry is a consulting firm focused on driving growth for innovation leadership at global companies. Since 1987, we have helped our clients identify and pursue opportunities in new markets and technologies. Our long-standing professional relationships are proof of our high success rate in delivering results above and beyond expectations.
At Newry, we have a culture of collaboration, not competition, and we strive to foster an environment where everyone’s voice is heard. Our team of ~20 is intellectually diverse and collegial, which helps when working closely alongside each other on fast-paced challenges. We offer opportunity to connect with your team including family picnics, wellness activities, community service events, and our pop-up office happy hour cart. We want you to bring your best self to work, and we understand that our team members have lives outside the office.
We offer generous vacation time as well as volunteer time off, competitive compensation, and an excellent benefits package that includes health, dental, and 401(k). Newry recruits, employs, contracts, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected statuses as required by applicable law. However, Newry is not sponsoring employment visas.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
This position is for applicants with prior consulting, market research, or corporate strategy experience. The consultant / project manager will report to the firm’s managing director or other vice president depending on the project. The consultant will join or lead one or more projects at a time, responsible for delivering high-quality work against agreed-to objectives with the client. As project manager, the consultant is accountable for the project result by driving research and analysis, coordinating client communications, and participating in or leading client discussions. They rely on strong problem-solving skills, analytical and quantitative expertise, leadership skills, and the ability to synthesize commercial and technical data.
The role requires that the consultant / project manager be able to:
- Lead engagements, including structuring client-focused problems, issues, or opportunities, and developing workplans and appropriate analytical approaches
- Provide ongoing thought leadership to teams by recommending new sources of information for data gathering, unique software applications, or other analytical tools to ensure efficiency and accuracy of results
- Motivate teams to produce excellent work product, and at times conducts quantitative or qualitative analysis independently
- Independently structure, write and present persuasive, message-driven and well-supported end products
- Continually seek opportunities to provide additional value to clients and to build capabilities of Newry team members and peers
- Manage quality and budget control on all engagements
- Be a role model and protector of firm culture and values, and play an active role in recruiting, selecting, and evaluating the performance of other consulting staff
- Excellent academic credentials, including masters-level graduate degree is preferred for this position (e.g., MBA, PhD in engineering or science, Masters from quantitative field like economics or political science, etc.). A BA/BS degree from a competitive undergraduate program, most likely in economics, statistics, mathematics, business, physical sciences, engineering or related fields is required.
- 3 – 5+ yrs. experience in a well-regarded consulting, market research, or corporate strategy role, preferably in the areas of B2B segment or product-level strategy (vs. broader corporate strategy), emerging market strategy or product innovation, including at least one year in a manager/engagement management role
- Experience in working with and/or managing client expectations
Newry’s office is based in Lakewood, OH, but also supports hybrid operations. We offer consultants the opportunity to work remote and in-person (pending COVID safety).
- Possess knowledge of the consulting process (e.g., has worked on 10+ major projects) and able to manage small engagement teams or work independently on engagements
- Direct experience in conducting field research and synthesizing information based on creative use of primary and secondary sources, including obtaining voice of the customer, conducting expert interviews, performing site visits and related competitive intelligence activities
- Ability to develop and apply relevant conceptual frameworks and analytical approaches
- Experience in building quantitative models for market sizing, forecasting, or product cost analysis
- May also bring additional subject matter expertise in at least one of the following industry sectors: advanced materials, specialty chemicals, polymers, display or other consumer electronics, medical devices, biotech, energy storage, industrial technology, manufacturing of components for industrial or complex technical products, or other technologically sophisticated products or industries.